3rd Trimester Pregnancy
- Thoughts of Giving Birth
The 3rd trimester pregnancy begins from pregnancy 28 weeks and lasts until giving birth. Even though your due date marks the end of your week 40 of pregnancy, a full-term pregnancy can deliver between the 37th and 42nd weeks of pregnancy. This is usually a time of growing excitement of the baby's arrival (and scared too!), as your transition time from being pregnant to being a parent.
During this 3rd trimester pregnancy, your fetus development is at maximum - grows larger and the body organs mature. As the fetus becomes bigger, it will be harder for him/ her to move inside the uterus. Thus, you may expect he/ she to move less.
Also, you will likely feel some discomfort as you get close to delivery. Normal discomfort you may experience during the 3rd trimester pregnancy include:
- Weight gain
- You will continuously increase your weight in this later stage. Your own weight gain may vary, but in average it should be around 11 pounds (5 kg). A piece of advice from me - you should never try to lose weight during your pregnancy because your baby's birth weight will be greatly depends on your weight gain.
- Back pain
- The back pain will be more felt during this 3rd trimester as your uterus becomes heavier and heavier. From now on, your way of to do things will be changed dramatically - walking, sitting, sleeping, and even standing.
- Shortness of breath
- As your uterus is expanding to cope your growing fetus, it pushes your diaphragm (muscle under your lungs) out of its normal place. As a result, your lungs have less room to expand decrease its capacity. However, you do not need to worry because the volume of air you are taking in with each breath is increased since the hormone progesterone acts on the respiratory center in the brain.
- Sleeping problem
- The reason you will have sleeping problem because you may have difficulty to find a comfortable position as your belly is getting bigger and bigger. Even though insomnia can be troublesome for you, but there is no need to worry about it harming your baby.
- The burning sensation at the heart that you are having during the 2nd trimester will be more felt during this time as your uterus push your stomach further up.
- Leaking urine
- The increased pressure of your pregnant uterus on your bladder may cause you to occasionally leak urine. You may notice this symptom when you laugh, cough or sneeze.
At the end of this third trimester is the most nervous time for you, as you are preparing for labor and birth. It is always a mix feelings when you start thinking and waiting for your labor. It is good for you to know the week by week pregnancy information and fetus development during this 3rd trimester.
- Pregnancy Week 28
- Pregnancy Week 29
- Pregnancy Week 30
- Pregnancy Week 31
- Pregnancy Week 32
- Pregnancy Week 33
- Pregnancy Week 34
- Pregnancy Week 35
- Pregnancy Week 36
- Pregnancy Week 37
- Pregnancy Week 38
- Pregnancy Week 39
- Pregnancy Week 40
Return to the top of 3rd Trimester Pregnancy
Go back to Your Pregnancy Week by Week Home Page