Pregnancy 16 Weeks
- "I Am A Hot Preggy Mommy!"
Yes, you are absolutely right! You are now in pregnancy 16 weeks and there is nothing wrong if you want to boast about your pregnancy. In fact, it is the best time to do that because your tummy is big enough to look pregnant and not too big to feel bulky or clumsy.
As your pregnancy progresses week by week, your tummy is getting bigger and bigger. So, you might start to invest for some maternity clothes. Though you may not fill them out entirely for the time being, they give you room to grow.
During this pregnancy week 16, you may want to consider alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) test when you visit your monthly prenatal check up as it can indicate if there is any potential problem exists with your baby by measuring the protein coming from your fetal urine.
The changes that you may expect during this pregnancy 16 week and your fetus development growth as below:
- During this pregnancy week 16, your skin may feel softer and more supple than usual.
- By this time, you will notice a slight rounding of your lower abdomen and your waistline has finally gone! :( This is a result of your uterus pushing against your stomach to make room for your growing baby.
- Your top of uterus is about halfway between your pubic bone and your navel while your round ligaments that support the uterus are thickening and stretching as it grows.
- The placenta is now around 1 cm (0.5 in) thick and roughly 8 cm (3.25 in) across - most commonly attached to the upper part of the uterine wall.
- Your baby is around 5 to 6.5 in (13 to 17 cm) in length and weighs around 3.5 to 5 oz (100 to 140 g) in pregnancy 16 weeks.
- Your baby has grown strong enough to hold his or her head straighter.
- During this time, his or her eyes and ears are moving into their final position.
- By now, your baby's nails are well formed and some babies are even in the need to trim their nails at birth.
- Within pregnancy week 16, your baby starts growing fine hair on top of his or her head. The color of the hair and even the eyes may change shortly after birth.
- Your baby is now more focusing much of the energy on circulation system, which his or her heart is pumping around 25 quarts (~24 liter) of blood every day!
- Also, the limb movements of your baby are becoming more coordinated by this week 16 pregnancy.
Return to the top of Pregnancy 16 Weeks
Return to 2nd Trimester of Pregnancy Page
Go back to Your Pregnancy Week by Week Home Page