Pregnancy 20 Weeks
- You Hit Your Halfway Mark!
Congratulations! You are now in pregnancy 20 weeks and have reached your halfway mark! It is just about 20 weeks to go before you can see your own child. Well, you may or may not reach the 40 weeks mark because typical pregnancy will last around 37 to 42 weeks. As for your information, accuracy of the due date may depend on the health of your baby, your genetics as well as your doctor's interpretation.
I bet, you are now comfortable with your maternity clothes. You may also start to realize that your growth of your belly is becoming more regular in this pregnancy week 20.
When you are 20 weeks pregnant, your gums are softer than before, thanks to pregnancy hormones inside your body. Therefore, please take extra careful when you brush your teeth. Please consider using softer bristles as well to avoid any bleeding to your gums.
As your teeth are more prone to dental decay, I advise you to book for a dental appointment within this pregnancy 20 weeks.
Also, please take enough iron as your body needs more of it to keep up on expanding blood volume, your growing baby as well as the placenta. This mineral is important to make hemoglobin - part of red blood cells that carries oxygen. Red meat, poultry and shellfish, soy-based products, spinach, prune juice and raisins are among the good sources of iron.
What are the changes to your 20 week fetus? What about you? Take some time to read the expected changes below:
- In pregnancy week 20, the top of your uterus is about level with your belly button and you have gained around 10 pounds.
- Due to skin stretching especially around your tummy, you may fell abdominal itchy, which is common to pregnancy. Consistently apply moisterizers may help to reduce the irritation.
- As your belly is growing week by week, your lower back and abdomen may be sore, especially in this pregnancy 20 weeks and onwards.
- Heartburn, indigestion, and flatulence are frequent as your expanding uterus allows less space for your stomach.
- Swelling, called edema will make your hands and feet uncomfortable when you are 20 weeks pregnant.
- Your 20 weeks fetus is around 10 to 11 ounces (around 0.3 kg) weight and length around 6.5 inches (17 cm) crown to rump and 10 inches (25 cm) head to toe.
- For your information, before pregnancy week 20, your baby is measured from crown to rump because it is hard to measure the later as the leg is curled up against his or her torso.
- Your baby is continuing to grow and filling out the space in utero. His or her head becomes slightly more proportional to the body.
- By pregnancy 20 weeks, your baby's skin is more complex and forming different layer.
- He or she continues practicing breathing and swallowing on regular basis. It is good for his or her digestive system.
Return to the top of Pregnancy 20 Weeks
Return to 2nd Trimester of Pregnancy Page
Go back to Your Pregnancy Week by Week Home Page