Pregnancy 28 Weeks
- Shopping For Your Baby
Welcome to the 3rd trimester of pregnancy! You are now in pregnancy 28 weeks, 12 weeks to go before your delivery date (maybe earlier or later). It is still too early to feel nervous, though. Just do your regular routine as always and remember to take care of your self. But, please bare in mind that this time also known as period of leg cramps! I hope you understand what I mean.
It is a good time for you and your partner to do some shopping for your little one!
As for your information, starting from this pregnancy week 28, you have to go for prenatal visits for every 2 weeks. In addition, you may start to have urine check - test to check for any signs of infection, contents of sugar and protein using urine. It is also a time for glucose tolerance test, a test for gestational diabetes.
Below is some changes that you may anticipate in pregnancy 28 weeks and changes happening to your baby:
- Your uterus is now about 3 inches above your navel.
- You will continue to experience heartburn, constipation, hemorroids, urinary incontinence, varicose veins, swelling, and at times, itchy skin.
- Your average weight gain in this pregnancy week 28 is around 17 to 24 pounds (8 to 11 kg).
- You are probably feeling really heavy now with lots of pelvic pressure and back pain, as your baby is sitting on your rectum and bladder! Warm bath and massage can help.
- Also, pay attention to your posture when you are sitting and walking. High heeled shoes can push your pelvis forwards and put extra strain on your lower back. So, please avoid wearing it!
- If you and your baby have a different type of blood, Rhogam Injection can help to avoid complications.
- In this 28 weeks pregnancy, your baby's weight is around 2 pounds (1 kg) which composes of 2-3% fat and measures about 15 inches (38 cm) long.
- During this time, free space in utero steadily diminishes and your baby starts to settle into a head-down position as he or she prepares for delivery.
- By this pregnancy 28 weeks, your baby's eyelids open and his or her eyes are completely formed.
- Your baby is also getting plumper and rounder.
- On top of that, the brain begins to mature, forming tiny grooves and canals that typically associated with the human brain.
- The lungs are capable of breathing air but is the baby is born now, he or she would still struggle to breathe properly.
- Now, your baby can recognize your voice, so be sure to talk to your baby a lot!
- If your baby is born now, the chance of his or her to survive is 90%.
Return to the top of Pregnancy 28 Weeks
Return to 3rd Trimester Pregnancy Page
Go back to Your Pregnancy Week by Week Home Page