Pregnancy Week 18
- "Is It A Boy? No, It's A Girl!"
Are you eager to know what is your baby's gender? Rest assured! Within this pregnancy week 18, you can determine your sex of your baby through ultrasound. If it's a boy, a penis will be visible and if it's a girl, the vaginal opening is just starting to hollow out, though it is much harder to see.
During 18th week of pregnancy, you may start to have trouble to get asleep, so you need a very good pregnancy pillow to support you to get some comfort. Also, try doing pelvic tilts before bed and always urinate before you lie down. You may also want to lie on your left side when sleeping to prevent compression of your vena cava - a large vein in the body supplying blood back to your heart.
Feeling hungry? Increase in appetite is normal during this time, so try to balance your diet. Make it count by choosing meals and snacks that are rich in nutrients instead of empty calories.
What other changes happening inside your body and inside your uterus during pregnancy week 18? Feel free to read below:
- During 18th week of pregnancy, your uterus is moving higher above the pelvic bone and gradually more and more of your abdomen shows above your waistband as you develop a pregnany belly.
- You may be getting light-headed, dizzy or feeling faint from time to time especially when you move from one position to another position too quickly, e.g. from sit to stand.
- This is due to cardiovascular system is not reacting as quickly as it did before you are pregnant. This symptoms refered as postural hypotension. Try to move slowly to avoid this to happen.
- Your baby now measures around 5.5 to 6.0 in (14 to 15 cm) long around 7.5 oz (0.2 kg) in weight.
- During week 18 pregnancy, your baby may be startled by loud noise and causing movements that you may feel. By now, he or she can kick, swallow and sleep.
- Inside his or her body, your baby is developing the stomach, intestine and colon. Intestines are now collecting meconium - the initial stool a baby will pass after birth.
- If your baby is a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. On top of that, she already has two ovaries with up to 7 million eggs!
- As she develops, she will carry fewer eggs - at birth the number has dropped to around 2 million eggs and probably release around 400 to 500 eggs in her entire life.
- If it is a boy, his prostate will begin to develop.
- Now, your baby is producing Myelin, a protective covering that support the nerves in your baby's body.
- Not to forget, set of fingerprint is also developing within this pregnancy week 18.
Return to the top of Pregnancy Week 18
Return to 2nd Trimester of Pregnancy Page
Go back to Your Pregnancy Week by Week Home Page